Search This Blog

06 February 2009

CrossworDS [DS]

I wouldn't normally write a review of a game based solely on playing a demo of it... But I feel like I am justified in doing so, when it comes to CrossworDS.

You know those workbooks you can buy at stores like Walgreens and CVS, or from the magazine rack at bookstores, that are filled with all kinds of crossword puzzles for you to do , when you're bored? Well, CrossworDS is kind of like if one of those mated with your Nintendo DS. There's a whole mess of puzzles to choose from, with varying degrees of difficulty. It seems like it was a given that someone would take the initiative to make a DS game based on something like crossword puzzles. It's a no-brainer, really. You've got a system with a touch screen. Why not use it? Right?
Well, there's a problem. A couple, in fact. In normal crossword puzzles, you have to make words that read across, and you have to make words that read from top to bottom. However, in CrossworDS, whenever you write a letter in to a specific spot, the game will automatically move you to the next open spot to the right, if it's able. This becomes rather annoying, when trying to write out an answer that reads from top to bottom.
The other problem is a biggie. The writing recognition software in this game is awful. Writing a straight line up and down, as most people would for the letter I, results in the letter L. I'm willing to let this slide, since a lower-case L looks like an upper-case I. There were many times I attempted to write the letter O, and the game interpreted it as a T. And don't get me started about the adventure that was trying to write the letter G. I'm telling you, the writing recognition software is completely terrible. It ruined an otherwise good game.

Overall Score: 4/10
There's not really much I can say about this game. It's a crossword puzzle. Does anybody NOT know how they work, by now? Overall, I have to give this game a 4 out of 10. Decent enough idea. Poor execution, in my opinion. I wish the developer had taken more time to work out the bugs before releasing this game. Personally, I would not recommend buying this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment